Monday, June 18, 2007

The Why of Blue

So many have asked me to tell the why of blue hair.

Early one spring morning morning ten years ago, near the date marking the first year of my mom's death - when a quiet grief sheltered in my heart, the dozens of birds around the bird feeder near the kitchen drew my attention. Gold finches, Grosbeaks, and House finches gobbling sunflower and thistle seeds. Streamers of colors weaving through the air.

"Why didn't God give humans bright multi-colored hair?" As soon as the question popped into my mind the answer jumped up, "He gave us the ability to color our hair." Astonished, my mind zoomed with possibilities. And negatives: There's no way! I do not like making waves or standing out; Sitting at the Reference desk feeling vulnerable and exposed is bad enough, I don't want to draw more attention to myself; I'm too old; Too shy; Too Crazy!

The next morning while reading in Ezekiel 16 a passage jumped out. God's discribing how he rescued Israel, likening her to a young woman. He adorns her with fine linen, jewels, and a crown. I was struck that our Creator has adorned this world for us with unfathomable beauty - painting bold colors, dazzling mountains, jade depths; dabbing great gobs of humor, quieting the effect with mists and fog. I look at the wonders of creation and am filled with joy.

Joyfulness bubbled up, flooding out the grief. The overwhelming love of God for me, the reality of my relationship with Him flung aside the barriers. Coloring my hair became a sign of joy, a witness to the wonder of our God who created us in His image - to be creative like Him.

The morning after strands were bleached white then painted with Punky blue hair dye, I woke up and looked in the mirror. Spontaneously I thought, "Mom would have loved this hair!" (She really would have gotten a kick out of it. At one time maybe she would have dyed hers too!)

Scanned picture taken ten years ago. The blue which was interwoven throughout my hair doesn't show too well but it was certainly noticable in real life. (My, what big glasses you have!)(While it's not good to take scripture out of context sometime God does use a small portion of the whole to get His message across. He knew just what I needed at that time. In rereading this passage last week I am reaffirmed that He desires the best for me yet the warnings are very clear not to abuse or disregard His love. On the other hand, His love is a fantastic thing to experience!)

Next post will have new fibery wonders. :-)

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

This is a really touching story, Wanda...now I 'get it'...
Love the photo of you..with your pearls... ;^)

4:14 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

I was really touched by your story Wanda. What a wonderful way of commemorating your mother.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you look at my site you'll see my favourite designer Zandra Rhodes. I love her Magenta hair .In the 1970s I sprayed my hair blue .I toy with the idea of the stripes of turquoise , pink and blue I saw on a lady recently. I'll wait until it is whiter so the colour takes well. I don't mind anything temporary , I kind understand tatoos except Henna ones. Your hair looks lovely.

11:49 AM  
Blogger gail said...

I've always wanted blue hair, but I never related it to the Bible. Nevertheless, you've given me encouragement. Maybe I'll do it. It would give some life to the grey...

6:44 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

I'd naver thought of hair colour in that way before, but why not?
An artist friend of mine died a year ago. She had bright pink hair - and a love of colour - right to the end, and whenever I find myself 'seeing' or appreciating colour more intensely, I think of her.

2:14 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

what a wonderful witness!

...you made me remember that He also knows the number of hairs upon our heads...so... He must know exactly how many blue ones you have ;-)

Thanks for the story behind the blue...

5:43 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Lovely story Wanda, I love the streaks of blue in your hair and the joy it brings and shows!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

And a lovely joyful way to celebrate life, those we love and have loved, and the amazing beauty of creation. Go girl! I'm right behind you.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

*Great* story, Wanda; sounds as if your mom and mine passed a little over a year apart. You went blue; I went platinum. And when my asthma meds started causing my hair to break off, I chopped it and started spiking it.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never thought of colouring my hair to celebrate the beauty in God's world. For me, hair colour is purely for vanity. (I hate my grey.) But thank you for helping me see it from a different point of view. And I think it's cool that your mother might have dyed hers too.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Kath said...

That is such a lovely touching story and a wonderful way of looking at colouring your hair. I always wanted blue hair myself but never had the guts to do it - well done you!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Donna B said...

Hasn't God given us wonderful freedoms within the boundaries of His law? I love your reasons for coloring your hair....to God all praise and glory!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

What a wondeful way you have described the reason for the blue hair a truly touching story and I am sure your Mom would have loved it also

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home