Wednesday, June 06, 2007

No more tangles

One of these days I'll tell the story of how I came to love dyeing my hair with blue streaks from time to time.

Did you see the tangled chocolate sock yarn from last post? There came a point when the snarls were greater than my patience. A bit over an ounce had been plyed when reason prevailed; it was ridiculous to keep spending inordinate amounts of time, to say nothing of strained eyesight and nerves, on a bit of spun fluff. The twist was set and the wet yarn wrapped around pegs on the warping board.

I'm delighted with this sock yarn that I'd spun with every intention of gifting to a friend. But now I'm torn. This is my first batch of spun sock yarn. How well does it knit up? Does it feel good on the feet and in shoes? Will socks hold up to lots of wear and washing?
#1 ball: 1.5 ounces - now 1.1 oz, 144 yards, app 17 wpi
#2 ball 1 ounce, 129 yds, app 17wpi. (wound tighter on the ball winder)With only 273 yards they will be short socks for smaller feet.

Today is the area spinning guild meeting. I'm both excited and apprehensive about meeting this group. I'm really hoping my introverted side doesn't kick in big time. Except for sitting with other spinners during Sunday morning at Oregon Flock & Fiber Festival last October I haven't spun much at all with other experienced spinners. I can feel awkward and dumb in these kinds of situations. But I'm looking forward to expanding my knowledge. This month's meeting is across the Willamette Valley about 45 miles away near the coast range. I've always loved driving through that area of the valley and now I get to walk the earth, breath deep the air and experience a llama/sheep farm there.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

I'm really looking forward to hearing the blue hair story!
That spun yarn is gorgeous! Now at 17 wpi..that puts it at sport weight...so you're right, using US3 needles...I think it's enough for a bit shorter cuff/leg and medium size feet..don't you think? It seems to me I've made socks that size with that much yardage.

I know you're having a great time today, I hope you've taken us for the walking the earth and deep breaths, and experiencing the llama/sheep farm, with spinning.. it sounds like a wonderful day all round....with a view!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

I really love the blue hair, Wanda. :0)

This sock yarn is looking great! I would definitely think there's enough for a shorter sock. Spinning up sock yarn is something I'd really like to be able to do.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very pretty! I wish I were more adventurous with my hair. I leave it unprocessed so I can donate it.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Hope the meeting went well,you spin alot with an experienced spinner..if you look to yourself! I know you sometimes don't feel it but you do know what you're doing when you wield that spindle, remember we're all on a learning curve,and no matter how much you think you know there's always something to learn! the chocolate bar looks gorgeous, so hope you get the socks you want from it

7:05 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

That yarn is looking lovely!
I hope you had a wonderful time at the guild meeting...

8:47 AM  
Blogger juuli said...

Your yarn looks perfect now, I'm glad you got it disentangled! Looking forward to seeing the socks grow.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

You always did enjoy long painstaking sessions of untangling, didn't you?

Oi, I want to know the Blue Hair Story NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, but NOW!

8:31 AM  
Blogger picperfic said...

that yarn looks lovely...I love your talent for spinning!

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home