Thursday, May 31, 2007

Shades of Blue

I'm convinced the yardage of the plying test had to be a mistake. There's no way spinning would come out to the same yardage and inch. I was so excited to see the 2 strings lining up evenly that I probably lost my head in the counting of strands. From now on if something even remotely comes so close I will carefully recount. Or have Ed verify the numbers.

Plying the chocolate bar sock yarn has been a challenge. I've always plyed from the center pull created by the Turkish spindle. This tangle of snangles stalled progress a month ago. Hours of careful negotiating and yet there's still work ahead. I'm determined to finish it soon.


It was time to try the felted ball I've been reading about from Judy's blog as well as other places online. It seems crazy to add an entire new step to an already lengthy process but it was so worth the extra effort. I didn't time how long it took to wind the yarn around the ball but less than half an hour. The center pull and the outside yarns are held and wound simultaneously around the felted ball. The ball is set under a ceramic flower pot with the two free ends going through the drainage hole, attached to the spindle and plyed as normal. It took 2.5 hours total. I'll set the twist tonight then wind it onto the warping board.




Blue? Did I mention blue?




Yea, it's permanent! :-)

14 Comments:

Blogger Charity said...

LOVE the blue! :0)

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool hair!

12:24 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

So...is that you, Wanda? and do we get to call you a 'blue haired lady' now? I'd really love to hear the story behind that move. I have to say, it's a beautiful shade of blue!

5:38 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

er, see how we are? You have photos of some beautiful chocolate yarn, then you flash your blue hair.......seriously, the chocolate yarn is gorgeous.

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely blue locks! You're making me want to do something daring with my hair. But I'm kept busy just trying to cover up the grey.

11:24 AM  
Blogger rho said...

I like the blue stripes -- and the chocolate yarn too :D

5:16 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Wanda! No, I don't remember you mentioning blue! You are full of fun!

The choc yarn looks great! I've yet to try the felted ball method, but glad to hear you report that it is worth the effort!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Wow, Wanda what fabulous blue streaks, you are full of surprises! And the chocolate yarn is looking good can't wait to see the finished yarn!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to do that.... not sure if I'm brave enough though.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Cool, blue hair :) Now if I did it I would look like one of those 'blue rinse grannies ' ;) do you have them in the US ?
Great info re the felted ball must try that some time as it does look great

10:36 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Now that is exactly what I was planning to do with my hair - only I was trying to decide between emerald green streaks and bright blue. Way to go!

3:36 PM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

oh groan—i hate those snarled center-pull balls of singles. i bought a tensioned lazy kate soon after i started spinning because i made a mess of plying every time. and wow. now i can't live without it, especially for fine singles . . .

3:19 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Fabulous! I like both blue and hot pink on brunettes. Thanks for stopping by to comment on my new haircut. You're right. I do feel freer.

7:20 PM  
Blogger picperfic said...

woh! love the hair!!

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home