Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Gifts

May Day seems faded in memory already and yet it's always been a day of special memories. Sadly more technological hexing had my nose to the computer though not enough to keep me from hearing a quiet knock at the door. When I opened it these greeted me:

Thank you dear neighbor boy. He weekly brings us fresh eggs from his chickens. One week the phone rang just as he handed me the eggs. I put the container of change on the table and told him to count out the amount due him while I took the phone order. After I hung up NB was standing uncertainly by the table.
"Did you get your money?" He shook his head shyly. What in the world was I thinking! How many five year olds know how to count money? It was a fun, instant lesson in learning how about the different values of pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters. A kid knows coins are the real stuff.

The last day of April a customer on the phone alerted us to the fact that some emails weren't getting through. For a week I'd been wondering but there were enough coming in that I really couldn't tell for sure. It's truly mindboggling how we've managed now to have two webhosts flake out on us. Oh to have a dedicated server with tech geeks making sure all is well!

Hours were spent over the next two days freeing up our website, searching for a new host through review sites, moving the site (and losing all previous emails in the process), and waiting on hold for the longest lengths of time in order to talk with live people.

This project was perfect for the long process where I needed a mindless task. Rolled bandage for Tropical Ulcer Patients through Global Health Ministries. Double crocheted from Peaches and Cream cotton, size H hook, 13 stitches wide by 4 feet long.


I had some gifted yarns that has been quietly pleading to be used but were being very selective in what they wanted to be. Over the past couple months an idea slowly formulated in my mind.


I think of this warp as representing the green island. See the ocean foam, the woods and moss? I used some of my handspun merino/tencel in the red parts of the warp as trees and soil. The rest of the warp in mossy green, and white mohair yarns wrapped with other bits and pieces of color were gifted yarns. Thank you to the dear gifter, this is only the first of more projects in mind.

A friend was celebrating her 50th birthday last Saturday and this first one was for her. She has a fine appreciation of nature.

Cut from loom and ends tied.


The small clutch, washed and dried.

11 Comments:

Blogger picperfic said...

is that beautiful crocheted strip really going to be a bandage? It looks so round and beautiful, who could fail to get better bandaged in such a beautiful object. And that bag!! It looks delightful, you are a rare talent!

1:44 AM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Sorry that you are having technical difficulties again :( There are times I hate this gadget world and would love to shun it,but then without my computer I would not be able to make friends all over the world and see such beautiful things that folks make like this gorgeous woven bag of yours. I love it and I can just smell that lilac from here, heavenly

10:59 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Wanda, Mmmmm, those lilacs, and how very sweet of that little boy, it's good to hear the May Day tradition is still going on, and especially for you!
I hope your new server....well, serves you well for many many moons!
The clutch is a beauty, such pretty colours...and love the shell button.
Happy Mother's Day

4:07 PM  
Blogger rho said...

lilacs my favorite - along with lily of the vally. Ours (well I should say our neighborsr) still aren't out though .

Wow on the bandages - you have to get better with them not just for the looks but for the caring that goes into making them.

And the weaving - oh my -- I just love it -

10:13 PM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

The colour of those lilacs is just beautiful, and the bag - you're so clever!

4:49 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Beautiful!
Everything is just simply beautiful Wanda!

5:29 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Lovely Clutch and the weaving is beautiful too.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I felt great joy, being taken through your planning and work, and seeing the beautiful finished result. And I like that bandage idea so much - must follow it further.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How thoughtful, the flowers are beautiful. You did a great job on the clutch!

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the purse . If ever we see the face of God I often think it is there in flowers. My beloved roses are blooming rather early .As they are old varieties they spread loose petals like a carpet at your feet and smell of well ,maybe Heaven?

5:15 AM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

I love the little purse. It's beautiful. I love reading your blog. I didn't read your personal info until today. I haven't been to Silent Service in quite awhile, but and Hello fellow Meeting member.

What a sweet story about boy neighbor.

I hope all is well with you.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home