Thursday, March 01, 2007

Walk with Me Wednesday

The following was written on Wednesday but wouldn't you know it, just as the last words were being written last night, the computer crashed. Of course, nothing had been saved.

Earlier yesterday I almost tread on these tiny harbingers of spring. Two brave violets weathering the blasts of snowy rain.
Heavy omnious clouds shuddered in the icey winds threatening to dump torrents at any moment. But a bit of weather wasn't going to dampen a celebration walk. The last of the sale items had been sent out on Tuesday (minus one which will go out tomorrow). There's still many other orders to catch up on but a walk was needed to clear the cobwebs.

Across the bridge into the next county, around a corner and up a hill, this dog ran parallel keeping a watchful eye lest I intrude into his pasture.

See how high the water is behind the retaining wall where in the summer kids wade?

Not long past the falls a slushy snow began falling but the walk was feeling very good so I continued up the road for a mile. By then snow/rain was coming down hard and continuing the next half mile suddenly didn't seem so prudent. I hadn't realized how much wind had been at my back until turning around. Pushing through the pelting wet, wet snow my sturdy winter jacket and hood did its job. Knitted hats are fine for places that have cold, dry snow but here the best protection is a hooded jacket, or umbrella. Buy hey, as a die-hard Oregonian I despise umbrellas which exposes a hand to the elements. And how many people battle the wind with umbrellas? Umbrella folks are usually those from other states.

No dog barking at me this time. Just sheets of snow drowning the wood, washing the road.

The sign mocks my mileage.
Back across the bridge, out of one county, and into town.

Wouldn't you know it? Arriving home the sky lightens in the west.


It was a good walk.
Photo by Edward.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see how wet your coat was after your walk! I can't remember if you have mentioned, do you have a dog to keep you company on your walks? I have a Lab, and he is a lovely walking companion, always with me but never interrupting my thoughts (which are usually about what I'm going to knit next.) Walking is the best exercise.Keep sharing yours with us.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

No dog. I have real mixed emotions about walking with a dog: I find other dogs don't get as riled, and there's no dog pulling at the leash begging to run. On the other hand - I do miss the companionship. Plus I always figured if I ever encountered a mountain lion, the dog would be my offering... Neighbors saw a huge lion a year ago about a mile further up the road in yesterday's walk. :{

2:44 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

What a delightful treat! Hi Wanda!
Thank you so much for the walk, I was needing to clear out some cobwebs of my own, and how lovely everything looks in your wintery landscape. That wind certainly cleared out any debris left lurking in the mind ;^)
I laughed out loud at the sign mocking your mileage.
Love those violets, Conor will still eat them in the springtime, but Gracie has never cared for them (good source of vit C and they're sweet!).
I'm glad to know you're back inside and surely warm and toasty by now.
Congrats on getting all the sales items out.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hmmmm, that's not very good news to hear, the mountain lion that is, I think I might would consider carrying a can of mace or something...perhaps slow them down a bit..I have been reading of more attacks on hikers by wildlife in recent years, have you checked on what might be the most effective protection while on your walks?
Also, computers...they can be so pesky, obviously you have yours up and running again, happy dancing.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you take us along on these walks. I love seeing all the signs of Spring too!

6:01 PM  
Blogger judy said...

a violet.. amazing to see it so early. What a mix of weather. Thanks.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Teyani said...

a beautiful winter's walk - I can almost feel the damp air coming through the screen.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

Lovely to see you out walking this week, I really wish I could make the time to have a proper walk all on my own to clear the cobwebs..maybe next week!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Oh thanks for taking us on your walk Wanda. Don't you feel so exhilarated when you arrive home . Violets already ? wow they are brave to come out in such weather. My daffodils are not out yet and I did so want them to come by yesterday which was St Davids' day (patron Saint of wales )

3:08 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Some of my favorite walks are on cold blustery days when I get the landscape to myself. My walks tend to be more of the urban variety these days, but I enjoy Boston so much more when the tourists are (mostly) gone and the students are huddled away in their books (or bars!). On a cold rainy day, the city is peaceful, and the city is mine.

Thanks for sharing your walk with us today!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Thanks for the walk, Wanda! I love your photos - all is icy and pretty chilly here, still, so your landscape is soothing to my soul today. :0)

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful Violets , I just picked a tiny bunch from my garden I had to put them in an egg-cup so am hoping to find a tiny crystal vase somewhere.

1:00 AM  
Blogger picperfic said...

I love violets and was so happy to go on this walk with you although the walk back felt a bit tracherous and blustery...I'll never use an umbrella if I walk your way, than you'll think I amlocal...Love the shot of you at the end. I have a son called Edward, I love that name!

4:08 AM  
Blogger Cornflower said...

Those violets are beautiful!

2:44 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Oh, it WAS a good walk! Beautiful Wanda- thank you!

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home