Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Good Day

Do you see the elephant trumpeting the news?

Natalie of The Yarn Yard encouraged me to set up a blogspot for weekend spinners. What Have I Done? Check it out The Weekend Whirl Anyone who loves to spin can sign up and blog about their spinning on The Weekend Whirls blog. Even if you have no desire for a regular blog of your own this is will be a great place for you to be part of the blogging community. Just send me an email letting me know you'd like to be "invited" to be a Participant.
One ounce of Merino/tencel singles muffin taken off the Turkish Spindle last night.

It has been a good day. The air was chilly but the sun warm and bird song filled the air. Temptation called me to talk another long walk (Wednesday's Walk posted below) but priority number one was work on the first stage of bookwork in preparation for doom tax day. No more procrastination, blog surfing, or even fiddling allowed!

I worked diligently until midmorning break. Coming back into the office The apple Ladakh spindle with the ball of singles next to it caught my eye. Amazing how quickly half an hour will pass. (The poster? Ed's a huge fan of the triology.) Back to the computer for several more hours and that stage is finished. :-)

When I returned from the PO Ed was on the mower in the back, so I got out the push mower and took care of the front yard. Then I got down on my knees and weeded the sadly neglected weed flower bed.


Yesterday's Walk With Me Wednesday took me up the hill to see the Cascades. We'd some cold torrential rains on Tuesday and I knew the air would be clear for good mountain veiwing. I walked about 1.5 miles then along a favorite trail. Facing directly east.
Mt Hood with a cloud cap.

The tree at the top is along the road up the hill. It used to be a grand, trident tree with three huge trunks lifting high overhead. The windstorm in January snapped two of the small trunks leaving an elephant baring his tusks.

Time to finish plying the merino/tencel so I can set the twist and hang it to dry. I'm eager to find out how many yards are in this ounce.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Yes, I CAN see that elephant! Thank you again for such a lovely walk....it *felt* like I'd had a walk....and here's the proof.
I went and checked out the new blog, I think it'll be a big hit when people start finding/hearing about it. Your single is beautiful.
Ed, I love those films also, they're such a visual treat on top of being one of the best stories ever. I had the incredible good fortune of having them all read to my class by the librarian in the 1st and 2nd grade...I'll never forget that, then of course have read them all a few times since then and now with grandchildren....

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,I'm a new reader of your blog, today I decided to click on your name on "dance with wool" to find who was this person(you...) behind the text... I'm glad to see and read about your works.
I'm a member of a French forum "le forum du filage", we also talk (and learn) about weaving and knitting. If you can read and understand french, you're welcome !
I've begun weaving this winter, I learned about 10 years ago but now it's my own weaving loom, what a joy...I'm looking toward the spinning wheel from timne to time, I've an old one inhewrited from my mother-in-law...Maybe next winter !
I'll be back here from time to time, I like the general spirit of your blog. Excuse my bad english, it's not my native language ! I live in Quebec province(Canada).
Esther

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, have a push mower, that doesn't take gas. It just needs human power, and it's great for the environment. But if you hit a stick while whirring along, the mower comes to an abrupt halt with the handles in your stomach. Your scenery today is lovely, and yes I saw the elephant. Too bad for the tree though.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

I see the elephant, what a great idea for the weekend whirl, and a lovely walk this week, that merino tencel looks good too, and I keep looking longingly at the turkish spindles, I may treat myself next month, I've been blowing the fibre budget this month but I really want to get to grips with a spindle!

3:50 PM  
Blogger cyndy said...

That merino/tencel is sooo pretty!

The view of Mt. Hood with a cloud cap is charming, and so is the elephant ...I would be inclined to trumpet in reply as I walk by!

4:56 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Love the new spinning blog idea, Wanda, and I'll be over to join this weekend for definite (now that the latest spasm of Sock Madness is safely over). My spinning wheels have been lying idle too long - and it's about time I took a drop spindle out on walks again too! Thanks for the reminder.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Thanks for you invite mail Wanda , great idea & I hav popped in to say hi :)
Great photos again ,I bet that elephant could be heard from miles away

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home