Friday, March 16, 2007

And the Winners Are>>>

The drawing ended at 6pm Pacific Time. Thanks everyone who entered!

I had ensemble practice that meets every other Friday at 4:30. Usually I'm home by six but we're scheduled to play a concert the end of April and with only three practice sessions left we worked a bit longer than normal. We warmed up with Vivaldi's Spring. An appropriate start with the temperature hovering at 70F, birds singing and the grass growing before our eyes. Next we breezed through the Baroque piece, Two Italian Dances before settling into a piece we need to brush up on: Grieg's Holberg Suite. Then we tackled Beethoven's Scherzo from the Pasteral (?) which we took up to tempo. Hang onto your hats! It's a fast, lively tune that you'd better keep your timing wits about you. Sadly that's the area wherein I struggle the most.

Hats? OH! You want to know about the drawings? Hint: I'll be sending packages to pratically all points of the compass! Fun!

I wrote each person's name on the inside of a tag labelled with the item they were hoping to win.
By folding the tag over the name was covered then tossed into the waiting hat.

Ed was the lucky fellow who reached into each hat.

The order of the drawing is reversed, starting with Hat #4. (Everyone likes suspense.)


Hat #3 Tunisian Hook with Extension, Size P:


Hat #2 contains names for the Circulars. Ed decided it'd be fun to put his hand into that hat twice:
Drum roll..... The hot item was the Spindle which had by far the most enteries.

Ed was so totally into the spirit of the drawing by this time that he decided one spindle just wasn't enough so there are now two more lucky winners to this contest. (Don't be fooled by his expression - that's the problem with the bushy beard, it hids his smile.
Prizes will be heading for Australia, Canada, East Coast USA and Scotland on Monday. And no, there was no peeking or jury rigging the hats! I really wish we could give something to everyone who entered, and to those faithful readers (You know who you are) that didn't enter to give others a chance. I'll be emailing the winners to let them know and to get their mailing address.

It was a fun drawing, even better was receiving so many emails from around the world.

Tomorrow I get to pretend I'm Irish and try to play a half convincing Irish fiddle, have succulent slow-roasted Corned beef with side servings of tender sweet cabbage, and potatoes.

11 Comments:

Blogger Teyani said...

congrats to all the winners -
love the photos - what great hats!!!
tell Ed that he is a fabulous prize drawer (it's obvious that he really gets into the spirit of it all :-)
All the best-

9:59 PM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Congrats to all the winners and what great photos of the draw, thank you . Happy St Patrick's Day

3:11 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

YAY! Congratulations to the winners of those beautiful functional pieces of art! Charity? Hairpin Lace? I am so looking forward to seeing what you do with that!
Wanda, I do so wish I could be there for the BIG PARTY and listen to your music and dance a bit. The music chosen for your concert, those are lovely pieces.

Ed? You really are a special and exceptional man. It was good seeing you.

Have a great time this weekend!

ps...at the party tonight, if you look over in the corner with no one there and you see a bit of dust flying around on the floor? that be me dancing it up in spirit!

4:31 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Hooray for all the winners!
What a great blogiversary contest! I loved the photo docu-drama!

Ah, your ensemble practice sounds wonderful...it brought back memories of when I was in college, and the KC Philharmonic would practice in the Nelson Gallery on weekends (where I always made it a point to sit nearby with my sketch book in hand)....

Happy St. Patricks day! Today everyone is Irish!

5:11 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Amen to everything but the cabbage. Call it a quirk, but I love cole slaw, and I rather like sauerkraut, and I *cannot abide* boiled cabbage. To me it smells like the inside of a washing machine. Do I have to turn in my Irish card?

6:11 AM  
Blogger picperfic said...

sounds like you're in for some fun tonight...congratulations to all the winners. I would love to see the stuff people do with these prizes, especially the hairpin lace, something I've heard about but never seen done, ever!

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the Natalie who won the spindle, the same Natalie that is me????
I never win anything, I'm so excited. You even got me spinning on Friday after having the wheel gather dust for the last few months (I've been up to my elbows in a dyebath). But although I have a very modest wheel, an Ashford Kiwi, handpainted, I learned on a spindle and it is my first love.
Thank you SO much.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Darling, what a lovely competition! Deliberately didn't enter as I intend to order several of these items soon. Lynn, it's OK not to like boiled cabbage - loathe it myself and I'm purebred Irish back to the 8th century or thereabouts (might be a bit of Norman blood before that on the paternal side). Go with the fun, Ed!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

What fun! I hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day!!

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! It looks like things were a grand success. :-)

And corned beef . . . Oh, my. I haven't had that in years. it hasn't exactly made it into Norwegian cuisine. :-)

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope my comment isn't too late--it's been a busy week! I love all the pieces you were talking about, and it made me wish that I could be at your concert. If I lived in Oregon, I would be there! Anyway, I can hear Vivaldi's Spring in my mind. I guess that will have to do. My students at school are doing well on their violins and today they were playing the Blue Danube waltz. It sounded pretty good. Now if they could just land on that F# on the D string, instead of F natural and then sliding up!

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home