Sunday, February 11, 2007


This is why there've been no posts in the past week. My courier bag has been stuffed to overflowing everyday with packages. 22 packages were crammed in this batch. Thanks to Stitch Diva who posted a sale on her website for most of our items, and all of you who've so generously supported the cause of getting Ed's teeth fixed! We're filled with gratitude for the numerous orders during the sale days. And to be truthful, a bit overwhelmed. We figure the last package will go out next Friday. Ed has been working almost nonstop turning, turning, turning and then carving and sanding. I've been busy downloading and filling orders, along with buffing the hooks and needles then handwriting the size on each. Twenty-four hours later, after the first finish is dry, I apply on the final coat of finish.

There has been little time for anything other than taking care of the orders, and trying to keep everything straight. I'm aware of one order I sent that I forgot to personalize the needles as requested by the buyer. Then there was the order that changed a couple times and I accidentally sent two sets of hairpin lace frames only to find my error later that evening when doing the paperwork. But this error has a silver lining: the next day the buyer wondered if it was too late to change the order (again) to two sets. :-) That was an order from Brazil so that mistake worked out splendid. It will be grand if that's the worst that happens.

Hank the cat keeps me company in the office/packing room. He loves curling up in the foam cushioning. The other place he likes to catnap when I'm working is on top of the corrugated paper roll. If you ever receive a package from us that has claw marks, you'll know who the culprit was.

I've been babysitting Faith on Fridays afternoons so DS can sleep - he works the graveyard shift and his wife works part time.

This week there was no way I could escape my work duties. But DS was thoughtful enough to bring her over for a short while so I could get in some grandma cuddles.

Before the rush of orders I spun one ounce of the Charollais wool. I want to spin another ounce to ply with this one. I have no idea how many yards it is. I'm quite pleased with it, when plyed it should be a good weight for a sweater. This is one project that will take many months. Ed wants the sweater in the natural color, no dyes for this one. (In the background are ebony spindles Ed made, racked while letting the coat of finish harden.)

I was gifted some lovely Shetland wool --along with other fibery goodies :-) to make a memory item in honor of my brother Jesse who died 3 weeks ago. Socks will be the proper memory project. We always gifted him with socks since that's what he always wanted and needed. There's also some history and humor concerning Jesse and socks. He was very fond of cherries. As a boy he'd sit in the cherry trees and eat to his heart's content. His favorites were called Black Republics. I dyed the skein with two packs of Black Cherry KoolAid. This is a new area that I haven't explored much. I was concerned that the wool would be too red so I added a package of grape. I'm pleased with how it turned out. I like that there are areas which are almost white. I'm anxious to start knitting a pair of socks.

But first, these are desperately wanting to be finished by Wednesday, Valentine's Day and birthday of my DIL. It's not going to happen with the work load facing us this week. I knitted on them during some long church related business meetings I had to attend this weekend.

A small glimpse at Jenkins Woodworking in progress.

Labels: , , , , ,


Blogger Karen said...

Wanda, whenever I pick up a (handmade)knitting needle or handdyed skein of yarn now I'll think of all the work that has gone into making them and the pressures that creates. As a consumer, it's good to appreciate what's involved.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Well obviously it's good that your so busy...but all work and no play! Still to have a hand in creating the hooks and spindles and looms that you do to be looked after and cared for all over the world and ensure a future for our crafts, that's pretty special.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Wanda, I second Jo's comment! I am so pleased to hear how busy you've been!
Thank you for the photo of Faith, I'd been missing her very much. The spindling is lovely...will be waiting to hear more about it, the plying and all, what an incredible labour of love for Ed.
I love the dye job on the yarn, I've been known to blend a bit of grape in with other colours as well, but YES to the black cherry/grape blend..also loved the little memory of Jesse and the cherries.
Hank sure is a beauty!
Hope you get some knitting time in soon, even if it's just a few minutes here and there.
Good to hear from you!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

I love your needles , they must be lovely to work with. I do hope you are getting some chill out time now as well.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss and I am sure the 'memory socks ' will be a great comfort, made with love and him in mind.
As you saw from my blog I played with Kool Aid for the first time last week and with surprising results. I love dyeing and playing with colour but also agree with Ed that sometimes the natural fleece is enough of a statement. I am collecting fleece at the momemt in all their natural shades ; its amazing the variety there are.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I saw the photo of [your?] left hand, with the slightly crooked little finger, and I looked at my left hand, and it's amazing. I wonder if we are related?

It's the first thing I noticed when Firstborn arrived, fresh from heaven: she has my hands. And all of my girls, even if their hands or fingers are shaped differently than mine, have that same little finger, which I got from my dad, and he got from his mother.

After you're all recovered from the rush of work and the rush of adrenaline from Mr. Axe, let's put our heads together and see if we can find a common ancestor.

In the meantime, glad that you're well enough to be so busy.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

It's wonderful that you've had so many orders, but I hope you take some time to rest after all the rush is over! DIL's sock is looking very nice - and the yarn you dyed for Jesse's socks is beautiful.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous tiennie said...

Even though it was busy, sounds like you had a great week!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Teyani said...

glad that you are so busy (I think) and most of all glad that the world is recognizing you for how fabulous you and Ed are - we appreciate you!
love all the workshop photos

9:45 PM  
Blogger DebbieKnitter said...

Oh goodness, look how big Faith is getting. She is soooo adorable. I seriously think she is just so flippin' cute, it makes me ALMOST want more LOL...then I turn to my little pumkinbutt sitting here screaming in my ear right nd reality slaps me, and HARD!!! LOL. I just love your blog.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous marjorie said...

I know this comment is a little late, but you know how life is! I had never heard of anyone making knitting needles, spindles, etc. until I found your blog. I always thought needles came from a rack in the yarn shop. Now I know they can come from the hands of an artist. I also have to say that your grandbaby just keeps getting cuter. You are so blessed. Enjoy the cuddles.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Love the way you've dyed the Shetland, Wanda. Absolutely right.

Jo at Celtic Memory

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home