Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Tis the season

Walk with me Wednesday didn't exactly happen today. I popped out for a quick walk after supper, intending to walk around town snapping pictures of the holiday lights. But, the camera batteries were dead, again. (Time for new ones, these have been recharged beyond their limit.) Apparently people were away from home tonight; many places didn't have their lights turned on. A warm wind is blowing in some light rain. A significant windstorm is headed this way tomorrow with the temps rising into the 60s. Maybe it was the wind, maybe the lack of activity on the streets, or the darkness of the night but, like Cyndy, I didn't fancy being out tonight, the warm lights of home drew me back after a short stroll.

Wouldn't you know it; when life is busy another iron is placed in the fire. Last night the call I've been dreading came. The articles are ready for proofreading. Oh sure, like there aren't orders to handle, packages to mailed, spindles to wax and test, Christmas cards to write, Christmas shopping to finish, and a violin which is scolding me from its corner. Deep breath. I was headed to Salem anyway today so I drove the long way around, stopping to pick up the proofs at the log house that I dream of owning. (A newer place with an open floor plan, a large shop, a second house, a barn, 20 acres, beautiful setting in the hills...and it's for sale but way beyond us.)

Still spindling. Every Saturday morning I spin for a couple hours at the LYS. One of these day's I'll remember to take the camera and get a picture. This is some merino/tencel blend. Nice stuff. It's crazy, I'm not sure what it will be used for but I needed a break from all the white BFL being spun for Faith's someday blanket.

Ed's been asked to make some replicas of Peruvian spindles, called Pushka, which I get to test. They're still in the beginning stages of possible production for selling.


Here's the Red Sweater. Sorry about the terrible coloring/lighting. Somedays our eight year old digital camera doesn't want to cooperate. (I'm will not admit to incompetence.)With everything going on these days I'm still managing to knit at least two rounds each day and a few rounds on the sleeve.


A pair of gift socks. Hope they get done in time. Plain 2x2 ribbing for speed. Ha, Froggy knows I'm not a fast knitter!


Saturday you're welcome to join Crooked Finger Band at the Friends Meetinghouse in Scotts Mills 6:30pm for our annual bluegrassy Christmas sing and play along. Bring your instruments/singing voices. Lots of food and good music to share with everyone.

Look what was on our table this morning! For years Aurora and I have sought this hard old fashion Christmas candy.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This season is always crazy! The red sweater is looking good though - is it your own design?

12:20 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Glad you managed to squeeze a short walk...

the Peruvian spindles are beautiful! Lucky you! What fun to give them a test drive!

2:56 AM  
Blogger judy said...

The spindle I have from Peru was brought to me in the early 70's. It is a fired 'mall" of caly on a whittled shaft. Yours are beautiful.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

The Sweater is a knock-off from a simple sweater. I didn't want to do a basic (boring)ss the entire garment. As this is my first sweater, (other than a tiny baby one) and it's for me, I wanted to make it unique. I like seed stitch, and I wanted to learn a new patterning. I haven't tackled cables yet but the vines pattern looked easy enough to put on the sleeves. (Can't remember names this morning.)

Judy, thanks for the info about the clay spindle! Wow, I can hardly wait to tell Ed.

These spindles are made from pictures supplied by Abby F. who grew up in the highlands of Peru.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Teyani said...

those peruvian spindles are so cool!

I hope that your days slow down soon - (as I also hope my own do too..) it sounds like our schedules are about the same. I'll be sending out good thoughts your way.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Wanda, the sweater is coming along beautifully indeed. The merino-tencil is gorgeous! as are the Peruvian spindles...looking forward to hearing how they handle...love the colours in the sock...where on earth did you find the candy? I have fond memories of that from very early childhood. Hmmm, that log-house...it does sound like a very worthy dream, keep on dreaming, you know sometimes they do come true. Hope you get a break from the hectic schedule, and believe me, if I could be there saturday...I would! So for then, relax, enjoy, sing, dance and play as well as cuddling with Faith.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Charity said...

The Red Sweater is looking beautiful! I like the Merino/Tencel blend - so pretty. :0)

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always have trouble with some colors. Not always, just enough to drive me crazy. :) The red sweater is looking good!

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the merino/tencil, great colour!
Like the spindles too!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the sweater! I haven't done much preparation for Christmas, yet there are so many things to do. My philosophy about this season is, if something doesn't get done, perhaps it wasn't that important anyway. Celebrating with my family comes first. (oh yes, and getting the turkey in the oven on time, so we don't have to eat at midnight.)

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tag, you are "it" (well, one of 6 "its", to be specific). See my blog for the meme.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Beautiful sweater. When this season slows down, I'll be back working on mine. Oh I wish, I DO wish I could be there to hear you play on Saturday night. Will be with you in thought.
Love
Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home