Thursday, December 21, 2006

Tag, You're IT!

I've been tagged, twice! Thanks a lot Lynn and Natalie!

The Rules:Each player of this game starts with the ‘six weird things about you.’ People who get tagged need to write a blog of their own six weird things as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose six people to be tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave a comment that says ‘you are tagged’ in their comments and tell them to read your blog.”

Deep Breath. It's not easy to be forthcoming and disclose areas of weirdness. The first friend I made when senior at a new high school was a girl whose friends were all in drama and choir. They were the cool kids of campus, I was the little tag-along. One day eating lunch in the hall leading to the stage they decided to start an "ugly people" club and each proceeded to list their ugly merits qualifying them to belong. Who were they kidding? Not one had a feature or attribute they could honestly label ugly. As a whole, they glibbly ignored me, except for the one friend who I think regretted befriending me. Ever since I've shied away from negative tagging. But, in the spirit of the friendliness of bloggers I've met, realizing that it's meant in good fun and a way for us to know each other, I will play. Besides, I loved tag as a kid. (Sorry, no time to scan in some pictures.)

#1. I sucked my index finger until I went to camp as an eight year old. Due to eight years of pressure behind my teeth I was called names like Beaver, Horseteeth.

#2. My folks were fortunate to be lead to an orthodontist who was willing to straighten my teeth pro bono. I was so determined to have straight teeth that I wore the headgear All the Time that first summer. My teeth moved into place in One Year. The weird part? During my honeymoon the retainer was in the leather toiletry bag which got left on the top of the car, blowing off somewhere in Arizona. No problem, I'd worn it at night for six years. My teeth were fine. Not. Within a year my teeth had moved partially back out. This time the orthodontist removed four bi-cuspids before putting on braces. AND I had to see a speech therapist for a few months to cure my tongue thrust.

#3. For more than a decade during my teens and twenties I had to tape my elbow everytime I played volleyball to keep it from dislocating. It dislocated 13 times. It even dislocated once when I dove into water. Do you know how hideous, to say nothing of the pain, a dislocated elbow looks?

#4. While out riding in Butte Creek canyon in the frozen days of January I came across a frozen porcupine. My horse wasn't too thrilled when I gingerly pushed it into a gunny sack and strapped it to the back of the saddle. The porcupine quills graced several of the beautiful bowls Ed made.

#5. Watching colorful finches at our feeder I wondered why God didn't create humans with such colorful hair. Then it struck me that instead He gave us the creativety and capability to do our own hair. :-) And so, off and on for several years I had small streaks of hair bleached then dyed a gorgous blue. This was when I worked at the reference desk at the public library. I'd love to do it again but I don't want to deal with the bleached streaks after the dye wears out (about 6 months) since I have long hair now.

#6. I've eaten Raccoon. (once squirrel, but that little mouthful was hardly enough to taste, beside I love seeing them in the trees) If you ever walk into a house where someone's fixing raccoon, politely decline dinner. Ed loves trying strange foods and different meats. He talked one of the raccoon hunters into bringing him the next one captured. (Yes, people love to go raccooning for pelts in these hills.) Ed cooked it while I was at work. It was tough, shoe leather tough. And very gamey tasting. Not good. I suppose if someone knows how to cook it properly it's okay. Maybe stewed long and slow. Maybe if it were fed corn and milk for ten days before killing.

Now it's time to tag someone. Many bloggers I read have already been tagged so here's some who weren't yet tagged when I checked. Run! Karen; Dodge!Charity; Duck! Marianne; Hide! Rho; Flee! Teyani; and Fly! Cyndy

8 Comments:

Blogger rho said...

Now this is going to take some time - I have nothing weird about me at all -- ;)

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've really been enjoying reading about people's "weirdness" - it's great! Now I'm not so alone. ;)

12:44 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Aye, now aren't you the sweet little stinker...;)
OK, I will do this (of course) but after the holiday....I'm still knitting like the madwoman that I am, now if I finish it all up with time to spare I'll do it before, plus the fact I have tons of weird things...hard to choose, there should be some kind of 'scale' to go by, you know like just kind of weird to off the charts...

3:55 AM  
Blogger Teyani said...

arrrgggh... Now I've been tagged twice as well. This is tougher than it first appears, you know. I think I'll go call my daughter - she'll be able to give me a whole list! ;-)
and btw - for the record, I think that the blue streaks would be wonderful !

6:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow the teeth thing is nasty, was it painful, I bet it was?!

I love the thought of a blue streak in long hair - sadly I now have to cover my silver streaks ;-)

I have eaten camel, and emu , both can be recommended, and also kangaroo which can't.

Happy holidays!

Judy

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mum who is now 72, graduated this summer with a First Class degree in History of Art, and she wore the blue wash out gel highlights to the ceremony to celebrate! I'm off to read those you have tagged now, Merry Christmas,

5:04 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

I agreed to let my daughter have a blue streak in her hair during her junior year of high school. It was so pretty! The principal made her dye it red, as blue "isn't a natural hair color." I wish I'd argued with him more.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Body image is one of those good thing / bad things we seem to be stuck with while here in mortality. The young can be so cruel. And far too many people don't get less cruel as they get older, just more subtle about it.

This impulse to compare ourselves with others does not come from the One who loves us best. And I wrestle with it [in both directions] as much as anyone else.

Why is it so hard for us to remember in Whose image we are fashioned, and treat ourselves and others accordingly?

Hrmm, something to muse on for a post of my own.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home