Thursday, December 28, 2006

Reflections

How did it get to be the 28th already? I was planning to post on Tuesday, the 26th - my 50th birthday. How could I have NOT posted on that huge date? Opening presents; the book Aurora gave me - Persian Girls by Nahid Rachlin; friends dropping by; a walk in the woods; luxuriating for a full hour during a full body massage -it's the first time I've had a massage - Wonderful! And last but not least the Tuesday evening women's Fit4Life Bible Study, I really wanted to share my birthday with these 5 women that I'm becoming close to as we struggle in areas of physical, emotion/hormonal, mental and spiritual fitness.

After a day of thick fog and rain, the sun peaked out just as it was sinking in the west. The light penetrating the fog and darkness seemed symbolic on this day.

In many ways it's been a hard year for me. With my birthday coming at the end of the year, it's a good time to take stock of the past and look forward to improving during the new year. I would really like to develope some product that I can make and sell. I love spinning and weaving, to a lesser degree knitting and crocheting and I want to figure out a way to help our finances by these loves.

Christmas was very special this year. Everyone was here; Aurora and her BF had breakfast with us, then DS and wife and Faith came over around 9:30 to open gifts. We had Christmas dinner and just hung out together most of the afternoon. When our kids were small a friend described us as a quiet family. Ed & I both thrive on peace and quiet - serenity. Our kids were typical kids but noise was kept to a reasonable level, and so when we get together the pattern usually continues.

Christmas Faith:


After dinner Faith was getting sleepy so Ed rested her on his shoulder. Surprisingly she snuggled her face into his beard.


Walk With Me Wednesday took place later in the afternoon. In the attempt to get back into a regular walking/exercise routine I slipped on my walking clogs and hoodie willing myself to walk, even though my cozy knitting chair and a new project formenting in my mind were calling me. It'd been a day of greys. No rain but low clouds and lowering temperatures foretelling of an early morning freeze. I looked to see what may be of interest but the things that captured my fancy didn't come out well on camera. Walking along the road which leads towards the cemetary, I noticed a hole in the clouds revealing blue - a calico sky.


We had almost 3 inches of rain during the 48 hours of Christmas eve day and Christmas. Water is still pooled in low places in fields. I wanted to get closer for a better shot but this was in the field that I was chased from a few months ago. I now know that she had a gun and was ready to shoot on that day back then so I definitly didn't want to push my luck at the edge of her field!


I want to thank everyone who graciously commented after my six weird things post. It's one of those posts that I'm tempted to delete. I've enjoyed reading other's six weird things posts and am grateful for their courage to post.

Next post will be about fibery things, and maybe a peak at my new exploration. And pictures of the three bamboo Turkish Spindles Ed is working on. :-)

13 Comments:

Blogger judy said...

Sounds lovely and peaceful. A perfect way to end the year and begin a new onw. Happy Birthday.

I'm looking forward to seeing the bamboo Turks.nkgzm
j=

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. It sounds like it's been wonderfully peaceful. I really like that foggy picture.

As I get older, I realize we all have things we consider weird and that we're not so different after all.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

Wanda, happy, happy birthday! I hope this year is wonderful for you in so many ways!

Little Faith is such a darling - every time I see her I long for another little one. :0)

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Wanda, Happy Birthdays wishes to you! and you're only 50,eh? Sounds like you had a wonderful day, full of delights. The photo took my breath away, all of them are beautiful but that first one really had something to say to me. Hopefully this next year will be easier for you, and figuring out what 'it' is you want to do, I know whatever it is will be wonderful. I love quiet. Faith is so beautiful, I keep wanting to reach in and hold her, give her a hug for me. I love the photo of Ed and Faith, talk about sweeeeeeeet.
(I've posted the 6 weird things)

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda, too late for the day, but all good birthday wishes just the same.I especially wish for quiet, peaceful times for you and for you to discover what it is you want to do - that's something which so many of us try to find the answer to, so good luck!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Teyani said...

joyous birthday wishes (belated) and I'm letting you know that the 50's are the best so far!
Faith looks so awesome snuggled up on Ed's shoulder - how delightful that her small hand grasps his sweater, as her head snuggles down in his beard.
total trust.
May all your wishes come true in 2007.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures are beautiful - especially of the little peanut! Happy birthday!

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely picture of Faith ,the dress is gorgeous. Happy Birthday too .

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos are beautiful, and I love the picture of Ed and Faith. It would make a lovely watercolour. Turning 50 isn't so bad. I did it two years ago. I sometimes wish I had the energy I had when I was in my twenties, with the smarts I have now. (Okay, I still have a lot to learn, but I've picked up a bit of wisdom along the way!)

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a lovely post, with fabulous photos as always, belated birthday greetings, its just a silly observation and I think its a fantastic photo, but that first foggy picture with the sun setting looks like e.t is landing in the woods!

6:50 AM  
Blogger rho said...

Happy belated b-day -- the 50's are great (I'm 53) Super pictures as usual and Faith - is so beautiful and the picture of her with Ed - Ohhhhh perfect--just perfect.

I was thinking I have to do my weird things as an end of year post so later today (at least before midnight here) I will post my weirdness :D

Happy and Health New Year to your and yours!!

8:44 AM  
Blogger cyndy said...

Happy belated Birthday! Happy new year!!

What great photos...they reveal the blessings in your life!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday, Wanda! And thank you for your comments on my blog. I've just started and it's so encouraging to get such positive comments. I look forward to reading your blog and watching little Faith grow. What a beauty!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home