Thursday, November 16, 2006

Windy Walk

(I started this yesterday but the storm moved back in before it was finished.)

The storms backed off for a day, gathering strength over the Pacific to sweep through again. Heavy wind gust and more drenching rains. (An area about 30 miles away-as the bird flies-clocked a gust at 122!!) The air was still, almost warm at daybreak. Constant winds through the night had dried the grass – time to hustle out and rake up
the leaves. The Catalpa tree in the front yard had been full of green leaves until two mornings of below freezing killed them. They bravely clung through the first day but at the second freezing dawn the green rapidly turned a muddy brown and within hours almost every single leaf had dropped to the ground obliterating the grass. The sound of hundreds of leaves falling at the same time was the sound of rain.

Between storms lashing the Pacific Northwest the day was quiet enough to rake the leaves, then head for a quick walk as the wind picked up tempo.

Please Walk with me:


The willows, planted at the back of our place about 25 years old, bowing to the wind.






See what's snagged in the tree? It wasn't there before the torrential rainstorms of last week raised the creek to new heights.






Snuggly sheltered low to the ground.




This morning I fell in love with a picture.

The Spinner


I printed out a copy and showed it to Ed. Around noon he came into the house carrying this newly made spindle. Hank approves of it too.





The Red Sweater, using Briar Rose Sonoma, as it looked yesterday morning. Alas! I've been bit by the Frog's ripit. So many of you have written recently about the valour of frogging when a piece isn't up to standards. How could I keep knitting a sweater knowing that the imperfections would eventually drive me crazy. Starting over tonight.

7 Comments:

Blogger Teyani said...

what a cool new spindle.. does it spin well ? It certainly is lovely !
and yes, I love that picture too. I wonder if it's for sale anywhere

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that is a beautiful piece (The Spinner) such delicate hands, the skin, such rich colours, the tone of it all, the setting, thank you!
The new spindle is very pretty, yeah, how does it spin?
I really loved the photo of the ferns. Have a great weekend, Wanda, and stay warm,(try and stay dry;) )

10:18 AM  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

The spindle doesn't like to hold its spin for long hanging in the air. But if I gently rest it on the floor it spins like a top. I suspect that's the design intention. Ed's going to play around some more with proportions and weight. The one in the picture looks lightweight. Eventually we will have them available. As of yesterday afternoon Ed is closeted in his shop making shuttles.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Charity said...

That is a truly beautiful picture! And the spindle your hubby made - what a treasure you have, both in the spindle and the partner!

Sorry to hear of the ripping, but I'm sure it will be back in good form in no time! :0)

12:27 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Love the picture too. What's the date? It looks like a Pre-Raphaelite (Alma Tadema?), but it could just as easily be a modern painter with old-fashioned views (my type!)

And hasn't Hank grown? What are you feeding him on? It seems like only yesterday he was a tiny baby hiding out in a spinner's bag!
Jo
Celtic Memory Yarns

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda, I went back to that link and looked at more of his work, I happen to have a couple of his prints, there are several little knitters, and there's another spinner, a young woman with a babe in cradle, she's rocking the cradle with her foot, very sweet.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Oye, with the frogging! Yeah, I had to rip out about four rounds after my stint on the phone with Brother Abacus. And now I have a poem stuck crosswise in my brain...

I feel your pain ;)

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home