Thursday, October 05, 2006

Ocean Break

The International Sock of Doom preferably known as Sock Forward was finished and mailed yesterday!! I'm so glad to have that pair finished, now I'm hoping the mail is rather slow in getting to Ontario Canada so my target has time to finish hers. The person knitting socks for me received hers so she sent my barely started pair to the person who knits hers. Until that pair lands in my PO box I'm still in the game.
Here they're about to begin their journey through the postal system.

And here they are getting a workout beside the ocean on Monday.

As wonderful as it was to escape the woodshop, office, and routines of home, three days just wasn't enough! We headed to a small town on the south central coast of Oregon, a three hour drive away. There is a rocky bay where people cast lines into the river mouth hoping to find a fish's mouth.

This picture was taken Monday morning looking upriver from the bay.


I dropped Ed and his gear off just around the corner from the bay where the fog was thicker. Do you see him in the middle?



As the fog lifted he was overshadowed by a beautiful white mistbow of an arch. If you look close, he's to the left of the center. He managed to catch and release a perch, much to the surprise of the other fisherman who'd been out several hours.


Sitting on the rocks knitting, and later spinning, soaking up the sun and sea smells and sounds,was simply peaceful. I was surprised to see nasturtiums still blooming, and even snacked on some salty ripe blackberries.

The sweet interlude was soon over.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Wanda, Thank you so much, that was truly lovely. And yes, I could see him in the photo, the photos were all so delightful...and peaceful,a great combination. mmmmm blackberries...and I love nasturtiums..for looking at, smelling, and eating! albeit peppery..which always puzzles me, they don't smell like they'd taste now do they.
What yarn did you use for your 'socks forward'? It shows up very pretty, on this end (in the second photo) an orangey red, which I really like. I'm just really interested in the yarns used for this event...I like the tweedy in it too.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Thanks Marianne, The yarn I used was Cascade 220. I don't remember the lot - sent the tag with the socks. It was the flecks of color in the red that made me buy the yarn. :-) It was heavier than I normally use for socks but the closest to DK that I could find in the LYS. The picture by the ocean reflects the true colors. Nasturtiums taste kind of like radishes to me radishes.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, nasturtiums have a lovely bit of a bite to them, good in salads. That yarn is pretty! I know what you mean though, I prefer using fingeringweight for socks but I can see how the 'sock forward' wanted them to go faster...although I will use sport weight with #3US for a faster knit on socks.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda, I was just over at Lene's site, and I must say, your comment is so beautiful, it made me 'catch my breath'.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Wish I'd been there with you Wanda. That picture of the mist is stunning. Hope you took renewed strength and happiness home.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Teyani said...

lovely lovely photos - especially the ones with the sock on the rock, and the one of Ed overshadowed by the misty arch.
gorgeous!
rock on with your second set of socks in the Sock Wars!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Well, you've lasted longer in Sock Whatevers than I did. It took ten days for my Socks of Doom to arrive from DownUnder. During which time I dispatched two other knitters.

I'm glad that your experience of knitting up Cascade 220 was better than mine has been. I think I will probably end up frogging the sweater I made and turning it into the first squares for a rug to go beneath my dining room table. If it's felted within an inch of its life, there's no way it's going to pill on me, LOL.

7:04 PM  
Blogger fibersnob said...

OH, it looks like my murder weapon has seen some lovely scenery! I'm jealous but excited to receive them (even though it'll be the death of me...lol).

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home