Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Kids, Creek and Kool-aid

I originally tried to post Saturday evening but due to Blogger's slowness then the computer crashing, followed by a short jaunt to the coast, you'll get a summary.

We had two kids stay with a Thursday until Sunday while their parents went on a trip. I forget how energetic the 7 yr old boy is! Non-stop, constant chatter. Whew! The 13 yr sister was a big help in keeping his gear together but I can tell she gets jadded with his constant motion and talk. Little did we know they didn't have school Friday, but the time passed quickly. It helped that they spent most of Saturday with playmates. :-) They helped washed the car, clean Ed's shop, and I took them, and Kobie, to the creek.



The water was dark and cold but the warm Indian summer day with temps in the 80's called for some serious exporation and wading in the creek. J ended up swimming in the deep hole channeling through the rocks, I almost submerged but modesty made me stop at mid t-shirt level. T rolled up her pants and waded. Can’t blame her for not wanting to risk ruining a good pair of pants.



Later we dyed skeins of natural wool yarn with Kool-Aid. I've been reading about it and this seemed the perfect way to keep a couple of kids occupied for a bit. They turned out quite well, I think.


"Sock Forward": It accompanied us to the creek.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Wanda, you are going to have to send me some Kool-Aid. I keep hearing about its dyeing qualities and looked for it in supermarkets while I was here but couldn't find any. It sounds a fun way to colour. Glad to see you're wasting no opportunity to awaken youth to the delights of craftwork.
Jo
Celtic Memory Yarns

6:03 PM  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Jo, I'll send you some packets! :-)

I forgot to mention that they readily took to spindling too. Most kids love these kinds of hands on activities.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wanda, I just did some koolaide wool dying for the first time (I posted about it) and I did have so much fun. Can't wait to get my hands on some more natural wool to have another go at it (in fact, since Jo will be home soon, if you look at my post, the one before the current, she was the one throwing the gauntlet and the brighter yarn I sent to her).
Oh! you have a 'verbal' young male! My 3 year old granddaughter is the chatterbox, constantly in motion, around here, I have her on Tuesdays and Thursdays and by the end of the day...whew, fortunately for me she loves her afternoon naps.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Teyani said...

how goes it with your Sock Wars?
lovely pictures on this post :-)

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home