Friday, October 20, 2006

First Grandchild

The majority of the past 30 hours was spent at the local hospital awaiting the arrival of Faith. She's here! Born at 11:10 a.m this morning: Friday, Oct 20.
Baby Faith:


Is it exaggerating to say that we're ecstatic? And best of all she seems to be doing very well! Despite the early ultrasounds which showed Dandy-Walker Syndrome and a very dim prognosis the August ultrasound showed none of the malformation problems that were evident in the first three ultrasounds. We took courage, hope, and faith that all would be well and so far, so good. She cried lustily with as much emotion and outrage that a new redheaded baby can produce. Her hair is very dark still - just like her mom's was when she was born.

All day and into the night we sat, walked, and waited. Lots of knitting was done, some spindling, and more knitting. On the fly I tried making a baby hat to match the sweater but without having done one before, and no pattern at hand, the size turned out a bit funky. I also started a pair of handwarmers out of Debbie Bliss silk.

The hospital has the custom of ringing chimes whenever a baby is born. Upon hearing the chimes, shortly after her doctor had quickly walked into the baby center, we started herding forward using restraint only at the door just outside the nurses station. One of Justin's friends, who'd endured the long night with us, suggested I venture down the hall and listen outside the room. (The hospital has very liberal visitation rules: it's left mostly up to the patient/parents who can visit, when and how long.)The nurses all grinned when I walked past their station. Before I turned the corner I could hear the loud squalling from behind Rm_ door. Faith had indeed arrived. The parents-to-be had warned us that they wanted at least half an hour alone to bond. Here we are, grandparents, siblings and friends waiting just in front of the nursery for word that we could see Faith.



The Family








Grandpa Ed

6 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

As one proud grandma to another, I say *woohoo!* from TX. Tell the kids they do nice work.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birthing always brings tears to my eyes, it's just so tender. Congratulations to all. Faith is a beautiful baby girl. Your days will be so blessed with her. Mom looks beautiful, and so does dad. What more can I say, but to all...enjoy, the beginning and continuation of a great love affair with the wee lass. After I read your post and looked at the photos I had to walk away, went outside and sat on the porch and sent you thoughts of love and celebration.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Little Faith, welcome to the world.
You are blessed in the family you join.
And so many more of us than you could believe, out here beyond,
Sending you our love and greetings.
Joy be to you in your life.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh she is lovely ,can't wait to be a Granny.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world Little Miss Faith. I think you are just beautiful and your mommy,daddy,and grandparents look absolutely lovely. I stumbled on your blog and of course saw what a BEAUTIFUL baby Faith was and I had to comment:) I was told during my pregnancy that my daughter had all the "markers" for Trisomy 18 and outlook was not good, long story short, we left it to God and my daughter was born 3 years ago and she is just perfect. I am glad your granddaughter had the same outcome:) Congratulations.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh happy day! Congratulations and best wishes to your entire beautiful family! Just perfect!

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home