Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hank!

Berry season is here. DD picked these Marion berries up last Saturday morning from a local berry farm. This is the first year I haven't gotten out to pick, except for a quick foray Sunday afternoon in a neighbor's raspberry patch and grazing on the ripening blackberries during early morning walks with Aurora, dog Kobie in tow. He's not fond of berries. The horse and donkey pastured next to a prime blackberry patch love them, I always have to stop and give them a rub and a handfull of berries.
While Aurora was getting the Marion berries Ed brought in several dozen knitting needles to be buffed, sized and lettered.

A few days ago Ed petted a small kitty lingering on the porch of the local store. Crossing the road as he walked home he heard a tiny mew. There was the raggedy kitten at his heels like a loyal dog. He's so tiny, he can't be much more than a month old. But he's a fiesty little guy! Hank made himself right at home. To the chagrin of the other cats. Old Cat hates him. Unfortunately in trying to avoid him she runs which delights Hank who thinks she's wanting to play. When he followed Ed into the house - no protesting from Ed - I was taking pictures for an ad. Hank thought it was his playground. Hee hee. Hank just squeezed under the door to the office! He loves being where the people are.

Jo posted a picture of a Ladahk monk spinning. Ed was intrigued by the spindle knowing it most likely was hand made with crude tools. Jo kindly emailed us a larger picture. Yesterday Ed tried to duplicate it. Turning a slender 15" shaft proved a challenge but even more is getting the balance. With the whorl arms in the middle of the shaft it tends to wobble. Last night I had a blast spinning with it. Something about it seems to make spinning go even quicker. Ed's still working on trying to figure out how to eliminate more of the wobble. I think that many of us spinners have gotten spoiled with our well balanced and weighted spindles! :-) Just think of all the third world people who successfully spin with crude spindles.

9 Comments:

Blogger rho said...

I don't spin or anything yet -- but do you think there is something in the wobble that makes it go quicker -- I have found that in some things perfect isn't the best thing.

Hank the kitten is a cutie - I think he was meant to be with you all.

6:59 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Wanda, the spindle is perfect! I'm so proud and pleased I had a part in bringing a bit of Ladakh to cyberspace! Yes, it was crude and home-made and heavy but all the more lovely for that. Ed's looks like a future classic. I did find another type, but so simple I'm wondering if you even want to see it. If I can find it I'll put it up on my weblog this evening. Oh, and hi Rho from NY! Glad to hear from anyone who likes Harry Potter.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Teyani said...

new kitten !!how adorable. glad he's found a home with you, he'll be well loved.
the new spindle looks like fun!

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi wanda! wow! you guys are SO cool! i'm sorry i haven't visited sooner—so many blogs, so little time . . .i'll put you on my newgator so i can keep up better from now on
i do a lot of spinning but i never used a spindle! i would love to buy one from ed and learn how. will he be selling those?

8:27 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

He'd better be selling them 'cos I'm in line too!

Forgot to add, Wanda, don't you DARE get rid of that little kittycat. It knew exactly what it was doing when it chose Ed, and who are you to argue with little fur people?

10:44 AM  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

We currently sell Turkish spindles but I suspect he'll may add a line of the Ladakh spindle if there's enough interest. :-)

11:00 AM  
Blogger calicokitty6 said...

Wanda, I have just started learning to use a spindle, and am using a top whorl to learn on.

The kitten is adorable. If there are 3 colors (calico), it usually means the cat is a girl. It's rare to find a male calico. Just thought you would like to know that. It's a beautiful kitten and I love the pic.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Ana said...

Hi Wanda! Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. The merinp/tencel blend will remain as singles. It's very shiny and the colors show up nicely this way.

Congratulations on publishing the spinning tutorial. That's so nice! And your new kitty, how cute! I hope your leg heals up quickly. What an ordeal.

7:15 AM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

I really love your blog. It's a beauty.

We got a little tiny kitten that way, it came crying out from under the house next door and won our hearts. Sammy, such a dear memory.

My first spindle was a slender stick from a willow, and a big bead called a donkey bead, from turkey. I spun some of my angora rabbits' fur on it. Then came the toy wheels and a golding. I love the spindles your DH is making. They aren't available here. Til now. :)

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home