Friday, June 09, 2006

Emotional wanderings

Beginning a new post is hard when life has been a jumble of events and emotions.

In the past two weeks we've experienced high excitement over a new possible business exposure, dealt with a frightening dog attack, took in a spinning show, and heard news that has rocked our world, all while trying to stay on top of orders and filling them correctly.

This doesn't seem true but I've been asked to do a demonstration on a DIY network show! The details are being worked out.

I hand delivered an order and spent a few hours at Knit and Purl a yarn store in Portland. After more than a year of suppling the shop with knitting needles it was great to finally meet the people who send the email orders.

Later that same day, still dressed up from going to Portland, I was taking packages to the PostOffice when I was attacked by a lab/blue heeler. Day after day I walk the couple blocks to the PO, down the gravel road which dwindles to a two track dirt road that swings around the house on the corner, ending up at the back parking lot of the PO. As I rounded the corner about ready to step onto the parking lot pavement, a dog began barking. He hurled across the road and sank his fangs into my thigh. He was relentless. He kept attacking trying to bite me again. Using the heavy Eddie Bauer courier bag as a shield I was able to deflect each onslaught. I kept shouting trying to get him to back off, and trying to rouse someone's attention. Finally the 20 year old girl who'd been sleeping in a tent in the back yard crawled out and roused herself enough to come up behind and grab his collar. She was of the mind to blame me. She who had been explicitely told never to let the dog off his chain!

When the dog lunged at me again and again two things kept running through my mind: stay on my feet and don't let him bite again. The dog tore two large, inch long gashes through the skin and deep into the muscle, almost to the bone. Ugly, jagged gouging tears that needed a doctor's attention. Silly how I was mindful of the fact that I was still dressed up for going to the doctors, nevermind the ruined bloody pants and terribly expensive hose! The leg is mending and infection is held at bay by high dosage antibiotics. I'm thankful he did not attack one of the dozen kids that often walk and play in that area!

I've been working on a shoulder bag for carrying my rovings when I walk and spin. I looked at several patterns then decided to kind of follow a basic idea but use US#15 circulars instead of smaller needles, and pencil roving instead of yarn. After it's done I'll felt it then put a silk lining inside.

Our son and daughter-in-law are expecting their first child the middle of October. About a month ago they settled on names; Faith for a girl. Two weeks ago they had the regular ultasound. The scans shows that the baby has Dandy Walker malformation. Her cerebellum is not developing. How does one comprehend the devestating news that your little daughter will be born with mental problems! How do you face the huge gaping unknow future? The love that is already strong becomes even stronger and you realize how much you really do love this little developing baby girl.

And so she is, Faith.

5 Comments:

Blogger Teyani said...

many hugs, dear Wanda - to you and the entire family.
Ed had mentioned the dog attack, yet somehow I had not realized just how serious it was- we're so glad that you are healing from this nastiness.
And your son and d/i/l ...what devestating news. Faith indeed.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Lene said...

I wish you and your family strenght. And quick recovery for you.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Just sending love and strength.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Love that name as I do Patience and Charity .Angie fellow Quaker .

5:22 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Sending hugs from Texas. I associated with Whitney Friends Church in Boise for a couple of years when I was a teenager (never joined, just loved the families who attended). Years later, I married my first husband in that church.

I'm so sorry your granddaughter, and I agree that Faith is an excellent name, for her and for any daughter of God who comes to earth in these trying times. May He comfort and strengthen you and your family.

And as for that obnoxious dog? I am reminded of an old joke about a Quaker who owned a particularly stubborn mule, and who said to that mule, "I cannot strike thee, and I cannot curse thee, but I can sell thee to the Baptist down the road, and he will beat [the fire] out of thee."

[Not meant to offend you, or your beliefs, or the negligent neighbor who owns the dog. And if it offends, I will cheerfully delete if you choose to post the rest of this.]

Hope that you are healing well.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home