Saturday, April 22, 2006

Woven


Sam's cotton chenille jacket material is finished. :-)

The weather is lovely today so I hooked the dog leash to my belt -with Kobes attached to the other end- tucked some Autum roving in my pocket and spun my way out of town up to Maplewood Pioneer Cemetery. The east wind played tag with the pencil roving and yarn. Kobes wanted to bound across the fields until his heavy winter coat had him panting from the exhertion in the sun. It felt good to soak up some sunshine while walking and accomplishing some spinning. Autumn is being spun with one of my older walnut Turkish Spindles. No worry about it taking unexpected tail dives to the ground.

The smell of the apple pie I made earlier today is drifting in the air, it's time to devour some.

2 Comments:

Blogger Teyani said...

than fabric is amazing!!! wow! maybe someday I'll have to come and visit for some weaving lessons :-)

And I'm curious - how do you keep your spindle from bump-thumping into your legs when you're walking/spinning? I can only do it if I walk really really slow :-)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Fiberjoy said...

Hi Teyani! LOL, I had to get my spindle and walk around spinning so I could answer you. I hadn't thought about it since I first determined to spin while walking last fall, though it did take awhile to get the feel and rhythm (and dropping it lots).

My hands are almost an arms length out directly in front of me. All of my walking action is powered by the hips and legs. I haven't clocked my walking speed in a long time but I'd estimate that my pace is about 14 minute miles. As I walk the spindle stays an arms length ahead, my leg comes close to it.

Tucking the ball of roving into the pocket wasn't the smartest move! It wanted to matt together but I was in a hurry to get out the door and hadn't stopped to think to grab the small backpack.

PS I'm still mulling over names for your sock yarn!

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home